A child was born to us in Japan. What is the procedure required?

A notification of birth should be presented to the municipal/ward office within 14 days of the birth.
For notification of child birth from parents living in Osaka City, refer to.
Once the notification is submitted, a Jumin-hyo (residence registry) will be made for the newborn as a “transitional resident due to birth”.

If the child is to stay in Japan for longer than 60 days, an application for resident status should be made to the Immigration Bureau within 30 days of birth.
For details of the Basic Resident Registration System for foreign residents, refer to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications website.

Please inquire at the municipal/ward office for details.
◆ For residents in Osaka City.


News by Category

Banner Ads